UTC Aerospace Systems is one of the world's largest suppliers of technologically advanced aerospace and defense products. We design, manufacture and service systems and components and provide integrated solutions for commercial, regional, business and military aircraft, helicopters and other platforms. We are also a major supplier to international space programs.
In 2012, UTC Aerospace Systems was formed by combining two industry leaders, Hamilton Sundstrand and Goodrich, creating an organization with key positions on a wide range of aircraft flying today and substantial content on various UAVs, satellites and ground and naval vehicles.
The UTAS Materials and Simulation Technical Center located in Brecksville, OH, has an opening for a R&D Engineer/Scientist to work in the design and testing of high temperature, brittle matrix composites including Ceramic Matrix Composites (CMCs) and Carbon-Carbon Composites (C-C).
The primary purpose of the position is to lead multiple projects involving the development and/or introduction of brittle matrix composite materials to optimize performance in a wide variety of aerospace related product opportunities. Perform experimental, developmental, and analytical R&D in support of carbon-carbon and ceramic matrix composite development, characterization and utilization. The Technical Center supports UTAS in development of advanced materials, products, and manufacturing and engineering processes. Prospective candidates can anticipate joining a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team aggressively researching a variety of systems with extensive opportunity for skill development in complementary fields.
- Continue and expand existing programs in support of UTAS technical, innovation and business strategy.
- Interact closely with engineering personnel at business divisions to identify opportunities for application of engineering tools and scientific expertise to product development and engineering processes.
- Advocate and obtain internal and external funding for new R&D programs, including from UTAS business units and government agencies, and generate breakthrough innovation ideas for internal R&D programs.
- Prepare technical reports incorporating conclusions and recommendations.
- Prepare technical plans, which support the goals of UTAS business units.
The engineer should have an accredited degree in Materials Science/Engineering, Ceramic Engineering, Metallurgy, Metallurgical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or a related field. A Ph. D with at least 5 years of experience in the field or in a related area is preferred but individuals with a Masters Degree and at least 7 years of experience and outstanding accomplishments in the technical areas of interest will be considered.
A Ph. D with at least 5 years of experience in the field or in a related area is preferred but individuals with a Masters Degree and at least 7 years of experience and outstanding accomplishments in the technical areas of interest will be considered.
Knowledge and experience in the several of the following areas of technical expertise:
- micro-mechanical performance of brittle matrix composites
- ability to correlate materials performance and properties to the design, constituents and structure of a material system including the use of fracture mechanics to relate performance to the design of the composite material system
- characterization, processing and performance of carbon-carbon and ceramic matrix composites with an emphasis on materials for use at extreme conditions of high loading and extreme temperatures
- design of components for applications including friction and wear under high energy conditions, performance as components in advanced turbine engines and/or performance as advanced structural airframe materials
- Knowledge and experience in manufacturing processes including chemical vapor deposition (CVD), reaction bonding, slurry casting, melt infiltration, sol-gel processing, pre-ceramic polymer processing and pack cementation.
- Experience in the use and characterization of high performance carbon and ceramic fibers.
- Knowledge in the area of metallic and monolithic ceramic materials including processing, characterizing, and mechanical property and performance testing.
- Knowledge and experience in characterizing carbon and ceramic composites materials using scanning electron (SEM), light optical microscopy (LOM) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM); and knowledge and experience in evaluating the physical and mechanical properties of carbon-carbon and ceramic matrix composite materials.
- Team players who enjoy working closely with businesses.
- Excellent communicator ¿ written and oral.
- Strong results orientation balanced by concern for people.
- Self-confident and highly motivated.
- Demonstrated skills for acquiring funding through idea solicitation and advocacy, and proposal generation.
Position will be based in Brecksville, OH.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.